Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Key to Tech Integration: SAMR

Higher levels of achievement as you move up the levels.
Over the past year I have been working with my district to integrate technology into the classroom.   Many teachers have been excited to use new ideas and try something new.  It has been an exciting time but I have had the feeling that I have been missing something.  I wasn't sure what it was but I knew there had to be a key to the success of integrating tech.  Over the past year I have been very fortunate enough to go to conference and connect with other educators around the country and world.  I've learned a lot and I found that missing key, the SAMR Model.
The SAMR model is one of the models of tech integrations.  It's a way to evaluate the integration of technology based upon research by Dr. Ruben Puentedura  His research in Maine showed that all technology implemented by teachers falls into four categories; Substitution, Augmentation, Modification, and Redefinition.  To learn a little more about the SAMR model watch this amazing video by Candice M. on YouTube.
I have led a few trainings on this model with the teachers in my district and received good reviews.  I think that this model is what the teachers have been hunting for as well.  Before the goal was to have the students using the tech.  Now the goal is to facilitate learning opportunities for student that will engage and create previously impossible opportunities.  As a result, students will achieve higher levels of academic achievement.  All future trainings of mine will have a portion of time dedicated the SAMR Model.  Regardless of what technology you are using using, the SAMR Model can help you to evaluate how you are enhancing the students learning experience.
I challenge you!  How have you been using technology in your classroom?  Where does your tech integration lie?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Christine. I have been interested in SAMR for awhile now, although I profess to being interested in several different frameworks; I've been spending time digging into each one more deeply, trying to ascertain which one is "best" or possibly which one(s) are best and where they might fit in when working with teachers and students. I'm getting ready to write a post for my blog and will share with this group. I think it would be interesting for all of us to have continued conversations about this topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughts! I have been looking into others as well. I like SAMR for teachers so they can reflect on their practice. Can't wait to see your post!

      Delete